poems as hand- and foot-holds on a glass mountain

Hall Standup

             

 

We’ve been waiting all morning

well not waiting exactly we’ve been busy

but in an obscure corner of Mind

that ugly elf in the hall closet

has been practicing his standup routine again

or so we imagine

well not imagine exactly

floorboards in the hall have been creaking

suspiciously, and several times

we’ve heard music and laughter start up

only to shut down immediately

like someone muting their cellphone

so we won’t hear

he used to play the Palace Ballroom

now he just plays closets

it’s a real challenge he’d say

to make coats and hats laugh, applaud

their owners elsewhere starting to itch

then scratch until they give themselves a rash

like poison ivy or fleabites

Saturday nights are the worst

they’re at it until 3AM, their muted howling

like secrets whispered in another room

their breath on us like heavy phantom sleeves

2 Responses to “Hall Standup”

  1. Craig Brandis (aka Burl Whitman)

    This has the essential element of weirdness…

    Reply
    • place9011

      I think of it as overt imagination. Poems are 90% imaginary anyway. The trick is to get it to fit in with the remaining 10%.

      Reply

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

Basic HTML is allowed. Your email address will not be published.

Subscribe to this comment feed via RSS

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

%d bloggers like this: